Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring!!!


I wanna kick my involvement on this sexy little blog off with a bang so here it goes.  Spring is definitely here with mayflies, caddis and stoneflies everywhere you look on the local streams.  In Tennessee on the big water (South Holston and Watauga tailraces), sulphurs are starting to come off in huge numbers and they're big!  I saw a hatch the other day while on South Holston that was the biggest I've ever seen.  It was practically snowing sulphurs.  The high winds approaching 30mph and my novice status as a dry fly fisherman prevented me from catching very many on dry flies but it was a cool sight to see, as the riffle I was fishing was loaded with browns and rainbows up to 16 inches sipping sulphurs up everywhere I looked!
Anyways, about the fishing... the wild streams are fishing good too and this rain we are having will bring the water levels up (they were bone dry a few days ago).  The fish have been hitting anything you throw at them.  A club member and I managed to land 7 brook trout out of one hole! Crazy stuff!

Pics from recent adventures at the South Holston and local NC streams:








Tight lines,

Will Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment